The project outputs over its 3.5 year duration will include research publications, mobile apps and devices, new interactive technologies, and a toolkit that provides the project's core contributions in an open and reusable form.
Resources will be updated here as the work progresses.
Tools and Apps
- Better Together: An extensible platform for flexibly connecting multiple smartphones together to disaggregate common tasks.
- Chameleon: A notification management system that aims to help your phone blend in to the background.
- Emergeables: A collection of hardware and software designs and utilities used in the production and testing of our deformable devices work.
Media and Activities
- June 2017: Our open source Better Together Toolkit for seamlessly linking multiple mobiles for disaggregation of services was launched in Cape Town, South Africa, at codeX and University of Cape Town.
- May 2017: Our work on multi-device interaction, disappearing devices and the future of display surfaces was presented in several talks at the Hay Festival.
- March 2017: Our open source Better Together Toolkit for seamlessly linking multiple mobiles for disaggregation of services was launched in Bangalore, India. The project was featured in The Times of India, The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Better India, The DQ Week and India Education Diary, among others.
- March 2017: Our deformable devices work was presented at the NESTA Digital Innovation in the Arts showcase, Cardiff.
- September 2016: Touching the Future: Our work on deformable devices was presented in a talk at the British Science Festival. This was covered on the BBC's Science Cafe, Click, and by Reuters, amongst other venues.
- Reshaping the Future Report No. 1: Another Perspective: Mobile Futures Imagined By and For Emergent Users in India, Kenya and South Africa
- Simon Robinson, Jennifer Pearson, Matt Jones, Anirudha Joshi, Shashank Ahire. Better Together: Disaggregating Mobile Services for Emergent Users. To appear in Proceedings of MobileHCI 2017.
- Jennifer Pearson, Simon Robinson, Céline Coutrix, Matt Jones. Evaluating Deformable Devices with Emergent Users. To appear in Proceedings of MobileHCI 2017.
- Jennifer Pearson, Simon Robinson, Matt Jones, Anirudha Joshi, Shashank Ahire, Deepak Sahoo, Sriram Subramaniam. Chameleon Devices: Investigating More Secure and Discreet Mobile Interactions via Active Camouflaging. In Proceedings of CHI '17 (pages 5184–5196), 2017.
- Matt Jones, Simon Robinson, Jennifer Pearson, Manjiri Joshi, Dani Raju, Charity Chao Mbogo, Sharon Wangari, Anirudha Joshi, Edward Cutrell and Richard Harper. Beyond "Yesterday’s Tomorrow": Future-Focused Mobile Interaction Design By and For Emergent Users. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 2016.
- Jennifer Pearson, Simon Robinson and Matt Jones. Exploring Low-Cost, Internet-Free Information Access for Resource-Constrained Communities. TOCHI 23(6), Article 36, 2016.
- Simon Robinson, Jennifer Pearson and Matt Jones. PosterPointing: Making Paper Displays Interactive Using Mobile Devices. In Proceedings of AfriCHI '16 (pages 170–175), 2016.
- Simon Robinson, Céline Coutrix, Jennifer Pearson, Juan Rosso, Matheus Fernandes Torquato, Laurence Nigay, Matt Jones. Emergeables: Deformable Displays for Continuous Eyes-Free Mobile Interaction. In Proceedings of CHI '16 (pages 3793–3805), 2016.